Why do we use oxygen-barrier packaging? Basically because food spoils when it comes into contact with oxygen, is exposed to light, is affected by moisture or undergoes temperature change. To combat these issues, we are constantly coming up with new, innovative packaging design solutions that seek to extend the shelf-life of foods and offset food spoilage.
However, high-gas barrier materials that preserve foods are not that easy to come by. At SP Group, we understand that oxygen-barriers play a key role in high-grade packaging materials, especially when manufacturing flexible packaging for the food industry.
Our R&D+i seeks to ensure food safety and deliver the ultimate organoleptic experience. Read on to discover our top oxygen-barrier packaging materials and solutions.
OXYGEN-BARRIER PACKAGING FOR COLD MEATS
- FSOL is a material which is usually used with other materials. What makes this material so great? It can withstand pasteurisation treatments. You can use this material in flow-back bags to package u-shaped dry sausage. It is also watertight and aroma resistant.
- PET HB PE: We can’t talk about high-oxygen barrier materials without mentioning PET HB PE. This material is great for holding liquids, as well as sliced cheese and cold meats. It can also be hot filled.
- RCLOSING HB EFFICIENT: We made this material more sustainable by excluding chlorine compounds and reducing its thickness without compromising any of its intrinsic qualities. This watertight film has oxygen, aroma and water vapour barriers, and is perfect for sliced cheese and cold meats that do not require very high barrier properties.
TOP HIGH-OXYGEN-BARRIER PACKAING MATERIALS FOR PRE-PREPARED DISHES, SAUCES AND LIQUIDS
- PET HB PP: This double or triple complex is a highly heat-shock resistant flexible material. PET HB-PP packaging solutions do not only offer excellent oxygen barriers but also offer robust aroma, liquid and water vapour barriers.
- SOL: It boasts an unparalleled oxygen barrier. This slim, multilayer, high-barrier film delivers superior protection. It can be quickly hot sealed which translates into energy savings.
- PET PE HB: It is your material of choice if you are in the market for a high oxygen and aroma barrier packaging solution. It is available in pouch and spool formats. PET PE HB can withstand low-temperature pasteurisation and is the perfect packaging solution for pre-prepared dishes, smoked meats and fish, olives, among others.
- PET HB PA PP: This flexible, multilayer material can be used to make high oxygen barrier packaging solutions, including stand-up pouches, top films, HFFs and VFFs. It is a great option for pre-prepared dishes, sauces, liquids, dietary products, food supplements, among others.
- SOL EFFICIENT: It is a flexible film which was especially designed to be welded to rPET trays and separated so it can be reused and recycled. This material replaces chlorine-based products. Together with APET RESILIENT, it is the most sustainable base webs. It also boasts watertight, high oxygen and water vapour barriers.
- PE HB ECO is a recyclable, transparent, high-oxygen barrier material, capable of withstanding pasteurisation, hot-fill and microwave heat treatments. This is your go-to material for pre-prepared dishes, sauces, food supplements, even health and beauty products.
TOP OXYGEN-BARRIER PACKAGING FOR SNACKS AND DRIED FRUITS AND NUTS
- BIONATUR: It is a structure made up of Kraft paper, BIO FVSOL, PLA and PVOH. It boasts robust oxygen and light barriers to ensure a longer shelf life for more delicate products. This biodegradable, compostable biobased solution complies with standard EN 13432.
- BIO FVSOL MATT N: BIO FVSOL MATT N is a film that boasts oxygen barrier properties and a unique paper-like look and feel. This 100% biodegradable film is also compatible with HD flexographic, rotogravure and digital printing processes. This a great packaging solution for dried fruits and nuts, and pet food.
PRESERVING SUGAR, FLOUR AND PASTA
- BIO FVSOL 60: It is a very thin, 100% biodegradable, compostable and bio-based film that complies with standard EN 13432. This packaging solution is ideal for dry foods (e.g., sugar, flour, pasta, rice, pulses) and pet food.
- VSOL: It offers excellent hot-tack and oxygen barriers and includes several upgrades that make it ideal for vertical packaging machines. Dried fruits and nuts, rice, sugar, salt, pet foods, among others.
OXYGEN-BARRIER PACKAGING SOLUTIONS FOR NON-FOOD PRODUCTS
PA PP: It is a very flexible material with incredible mechanical properties, rendering it highly puncture and tear resistant. It can withstand heat treatments and be hot filled. This material is often used by the food industry to package pâtés, pre-cooked foods, snacks, and other types of foods. However, it is also used by the non-food industry to make gauze pads, syringe barrels, and many more products.